Sunday, November 04, 2007

NYC Marathon

Since I could not really race for time I had to come up with a different reason to run the marathon. What I finally settled on is I would be happy to beat my time for when I ran the Los Angeles Marathon and I wanted to see the city of New York. I figured there couldn't be a better way to get my bearings then running 26.2 miles through all 5 boroughs.
The day before we went to the convention to pick up my bib. I was surprised at how efficient they could process everyone in line. From there we went to Tavern on the Green in Central Park for their pasta dinner. They were also very efficient in getting everyone through. They really had this thing down pat for the Marathon.
In the morning my wife dropped my off at the southern tip of Manhattan then drove over to my friend D.'s house to get some more sleep. I took the Staten Island Ferry to the starting line. There were so many people they had 4 different starting lines, then the roads merged together after they caught up in length. Right before it started everyone stripped off their sweats and other clothes that were keeping them warm and started running. There was trash and clothes everywhere. For the next mile I was working to keep from tripping over the discarded clothes. I then realized between the disposable clothes and special energy food and drinks, and the fact that most people traveled around the world for marathons. This sport is for rich people. It is to much like golf. I lost my desire to run another marathon at that point.
L. and I had bought iPhones because we needed to keep track of dates. It was the perfect tool to have for someone just enjoying a marathon by themselves. I could listen to music, take pictures, call people, and check my progress on the map, all in one device. I know I sound like a commercial but it did make me smile being able to use it.
The other thing that made me smile was that everyone was planning to cheer me on when I passed near D.'s apartment. They underestimated how fast I was going and I ran past the point way before anyone got there. I was doing pretty good up until I ran over the Queensboro Bridge. It seemed like it was just to big of a hill for me. For the rest of the race my time just kept getting longer and longer per average mile. Everyone has a chip in their shoe and you can log into a website to give statistics. It was nice that it could also email people when I hit mile markers. There was a lot of people cheering everyone on. After the Queensboro Bridge the people cheering for me in Upper Manhattan helped. I have to say that a little Jewish girl giving high-5's to runners is what put the biggest smile on my face though. A lot of people were handing out candy and stuff too.
I finished in 6 Hours, 10 Minutes. I beat my old time, so I was happy. Yes I could have done better had I had time to train properly, but I was happy that I was able to finish too with my hip problems. Everyone met me at the finish line. I was pretty beat and was ticked that I had to walk an extra mile after the marathon before being able to meet up with everyone. Since we ended in Central Park we had to take the subway home. While waiting for the subway I squatted down to give my legs a break. When I stood back up my brain was a little hazy but I realized something was different. I finally placed it, I couldn't see! I grabbed onto the pole next to me to make sure I didn't fall over or black out. As my vision slowly came back I told everyone that everything was black. L. said that I turned white as a white can be. We made it home without further trouble and I took the next day off from work to recover but I was no where near as sore as I thought I would be.

No comments: